Hiring Process and Timeline
Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should submit all required information (found below) as quickly as possible. Applications will be reviewed by the Executive Director Search Committee as they are received. The "Status" section listed above will be the best place for updates on the hiring process. No phone calls, please.
The Executive Director is in charge of all day-to-day operations of the Tennessee Democratic Party, the management of party staff, and serves as a senior advisor to the Chair, State Executive Committee, and County Chairs. The Executive Director is responsible for implementing and managing organizational change and for overseeing the building of a vibrant 95-County Party infrastructure, developing an active grassroots wing of the TNDP, coordinating special events, and developing relationships with elected officials, their staff, and issue-based advocacy groups. This is a full-time position based in Nashville, TN. Salary is commensurate with experience. A benefits package is offered. This position reports to the Chair.
- Serves as the chief strategic and tactical executive of the Tennessee Democratic Party.
- Conducts weekly staff meetings, and manages projects and events.
- Works with the Chair, Treasurer, Executive Committee and Staff to develop and adhere to an operating budget.
- Develops and markets long-term strategic plan in consultation with other major Democratic stakeholders.
- Approves and signs off on expenditures.
- Works with Communications Director and Chair to issue press releases, speak out on important issues, respond to attacks, and present the Democratic Party in a positive, professional light.
- Develops training programs for the State Party, including grassroots organizing, precinct training, County Chair, Executive Committee and candidate training sessions.
- Issues regular stakeholder updates on activities of Chair and Staff to Political Leaders.
- Coordinates with State House and Senate caucuses on candidate recruitment.
- Advises the TNDP Chair on all legal, financial, contractual and political matters related to state party.
- Oversees the Fundraising Plan, makes direct fundraising asks of major donors, and develops new fundraising opportunities.
- Oversees and maintains relationships with Democratic Party leaders, elected officials, key constituencies, and donors both in Tennessee and nationally.
- Oversees the development and implementation of technology to win elections.
- Reviews staff functions and restructures job responsibilities as necessary.
- Ensures all required reports are accurately filed in a timely manner by the Treasurer and staff.
- Recruits and manages interns and volunteers.
- Develops a strategic voter registration program, Young Democrat development and volunteer development programs in targeted districts.
- Oversees the development and production of party-building and message-delivery tools, including brochures, newsletters, briefings, trainings and the TNDP Website.
- Organizes all meetings of the State Executive Committee as required by state party bylaws and state statute.
- Understands all aspects of elections, including state-of-the-art campaign techniques, campaign planning, targeting, polling, election, and get-out-the-vote programs.
- Bachelors Degree required, Advanced Degree(s) preferred.
- At least 4 years of political, campaign, or non-profit experience.
- Experience managing staff and volunteers.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills with the ability to develop, motivate, manage, and build teams that regularly achieve and maintain goals.
- Demonstrated interest in implementing new technologies.
- Flexibility with work schedule and duties.
- Willing to be based in Nashville and to travel in Tennessee.
- Excellent personal skills with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships.
- Must be organized and be able to manage multiple deadlines and responsibilities.
How to Apply
To apply, applicants must do two things:
2.) Complete the Executive Director Application that can be found by clicking this link. This short application will ask applicants to provide contact information for three references and to briefly answer five questions that will allow the search committee the chance to learn more about those applicants for the position and get to know the applicants in a more meaningful way.