For Democrats, changing politics in Washington means ensuring that government is open, transparent, and responsive to the needs of the people. President Obama has implemented the most sweeping ethics and transparency requirements in history, building on steps taken by Democrats to limit the influence of special interests and ensure that government is accountable to the people.
Transparency promotes accountability and provides information for citizens about what their government is doing. We are committed to creating the most open, transparent, and accountable government in history. In the past few years, Democrats have taken steps to:
- Bring unprecedented accountability to federal spending;
- Rein in the influence of lobbyists in Washington;
- Shut down the "revolving door" that allowed lobbyists to move freely from government to special interests and back;
- Open more lines of communication with the American public; and
- Increase cooperation across all levels of government, as well as with nonprofit organizations, businesses, and individuals in the private sector.