The GOP has adopted an extreme platform that is incredibly out of touch. Take a look at just ten of the policies Republicans hope to enact under a Romney presidency:
Ban all abortions, with no exception for victims of rape and incest
- "We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to unborn children. We oppose using public revenues to promote or perform abortion or fund organizations which perform or advocate it and will not fund or subsidize health care which includes abortion coverage."
Harsh treatment of immigrants
- "In order to restore the rule of law, federal funding should be denied to sanctuary cities that violate federal law and endanger their own citizens, and federal funding should be denied to universities that provide instate tuition rates to illegal aliens, in open defiance of federal law."
- "We insist upon enforcement at the workplace through verification systems so that jobs can be available to all legal workers. Use of the E-verify program—an internet-based system that verifies the employment authorization and identity of employees—must be made mandatory nationwide."
- "We support changing the way that the decennial census is conducted, so that citizens are distinguished from lawfully present aliens and illegal aliens."
Restrict voting rights and civil rights
- "With a Republican Administration, the Department will stop suing States for exercising those powers reserved to the States, will stop abusing its preclearance authority to block photo-ID voting laws, and will fulfill its responsibility to defend all federal laws in court, including the Defense of Marriage Act."
Oppose marriage equality
- "[W]e believe that marriage, the union of one man and one woman must be upheld as the national standard, a goal to stand for, encourage, and promote through laws governing marriage."
Extreme on taxes
- "We call for a Constitutional amendment requiring a super-majority for any tax increase with exceptions for only war and national emergencies, and imposing a cap limiting spending to the historical average percentage of GDP so that future Congresses cannot balance the budget by raising taxes." Extreme on the environment
- "The most powerful environmental policy is liberty, the central organizing principle of the American Republic and its people. Liberty alone fosters scientific inquiry, technological innovation, entrepreneurship, and information exchange. Liberty must remain the core energy behind America’s environmental improvement."
Attack human rights for LGBT people living abroad
- "The effectiveness of our foreign aid has been limited by the cultural agenda of the current Administration, attempting to impose on foreign countries, especially the peoples of Africa, legalized abortion and the homosexual rights agenda."
Put airport security in the hands of private firms
- "We call for the private sector to take over airport screening wherever feasible and look toward the development of security systems that can replace the personal violation of frisking."
Scrap the Wall Street Reform law that protects our economy
- "But no peril justifies the regulatory impact of Obamacare on the practice of medicine, the Dodd-Frank Act on financial services, or the EPA’s and OSHA’s overreaching regulation agenda. A Republican Congress and President will repeal the first and second, and rein in the third."
- "We agree with the four dissenting justices of the Supreme Court: 'In our view the entire Act before us is invalid in its entirety.' It was the high-water mark of an outdated liberalism, the latest attempt to impose upon Americans a euro-style bureaucracy to manage all aspects of their lives."
- "Through Obamacare, the current administration has promoted the notion of abortion as healthcare."