There are numerous reasons to support the re-election of President Obama but his steadfast support of the military is number one. The way he ended the war in Iraq showed his leadership as Commander in Chief. His conduct of the war in Afghanistan and its measured transition to the Afghan forces exhibited his knowledge of the use of diplomacy as an adjunct to military might. His success at removing the Al Qaeda leadership reinforced his skills as a leader. In addition, he remembers that once a conflict is over, one needs to see to the needs of our returning forces. He has done this with legislation that promotes the reintegration of our service personnel into their communities. Bills passed include sections that:
- Boosted the Veterans Affairs budget.
- Expanded mental health services for combat veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
- Enacted the Post-9/11 GI Bill that allows veterans to receive an in-state, undergraduate education at a public institution for no cost.
- Enacted the Returning Heroes Tax Credit that offers businesses that hire unemployed veterans a credit of up to $5,600 per veteran.
- Enacted the Wounded Warriors Tax Credit that doubles the credit available to businesses that hire service-connected disabled veterans with up to $9,600 per veteran.
All this was accomplished with minimal help from the Republican legislators who stated publically that their main objective was to see the President serve only one term. A Republican party that wants their President to fail with few reasonable alternatives of their own does not deserve the support of the American people.
“We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.” - Benjamin Franklin at the signing of the Declaration of Independence
Obamanos otra vez!