The DNC is seeking a Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to join the management team of the DNC to lead technology initiatives and build the technology and data infrastructure to fight for progress and elect Democrats across the country. This senior technical executive position will set the vision for the Democratic Party’s technology tools, data, and analytics infrastructure, structure technical collaboration architecture, modernize the DNC’s technology infrastructure, products, services, and developer programs, and work with diverse stakeholders to create and support a national ecosystem for innovation and engagement within the Party.
The CTO, reporting to the DNC’s Executive Director, will work with DNC Executive Management to establish strategic goals for using technology both at the DNC, and for building the technology assets the DNC provides to State Parties, Democratic Campaigns, and associated Committees. The CTO directs and manages all employees within the Technology Department, including the Data, Software Engineering, Analytics, Technology, Information Security, and Project Management teams. Staff reporting to this position include:
- Chief Information Security Officer (CISO)
- Deputy Chief Technology Officer
- Data Director
- Software Engineering Director
- Technology Director
- IT Security Director
- Project Management + Training Director
The Technology Department is responsible for the technology infrastructure and tools of the Democratic Party. That includes:
- Network infrastructure
- Democratic Data Warehouse and National Voter file
- Democratic Analytics Platform and Toolbox
- Internal DNC productivity tools and software
- External campaign tools and software
- Information Security Training and Best Practices
Eligibility for consideration will be based on a clear demonstration that the applicant's experience and training are of the scope, quality, and level of responsibility sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this technical executive position.
Technical Competency, including Proven Technical Team Leadership - All applicants must have the ability and technical leadership experience necessary to leverage state-of-the-art technology and practices to deliver best-in-class technology and data services, including engaging developer networks for impact and scale. This includes demonstrated knowledge, understanding, and deep experience in applying the latest technology and IT security tools, techniques and strategies, and data and analytics approaches; leading effective technical teams; and leading teams who engage developer networks.
- Overseeing all technical aspects of the DNC
- Providing leadership and management of DNC technology department heads that supports the DNC’s culture, mission, and values
- Serving as a DNC spokesperson on technology topics to external consumers of DNC resources and the broader political community
- Acting as a good steward of the DNC’s resources and managing the Technology budget
- Consulting with stakeholders and recommending and planning technology to support and meet objectives based on research and evaluation that will improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the DNC
- Securing the DNC’s information technology resources and data, and establishing modern practices for IT security monitoring and management
- Technical Executive Competency - Applicants will also be evaluated according to their demonstrated leadership capabilities in other areas, including some combination of their ability to:
- Bring about strategic technical change, both within and outside an organization, by establishing a clear vision and implementing it in a continuously changing environment
- Lead technical people toward meeting an organizational vision, mission, and goals. Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to building an inclusive workplace that fosters collaboration, professional development, cooperation, teamwork, and constructive resolution of conflicts
- Meet organizational goals and stakeholder expectations using technology and data and make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks
- Strategically manage human, financial, and information resources, including to develop and execute plans 12-48 months in advance of political cycles, and to respond to urgent events within a few hours, days, or weeks
- Political Executive Exposure (if applicable) - Although not required, applicants should highlight any relevant understanding of or and experience working in political environments. For example, applicants could include any experience working with Democratic Committees, campaigns, state parties, progressive organizations, or other similarly organized groups; and/or a demonstrated understanding of how these organizations use technology and the requirements, including timeframes and resource constraints, for implementing new tools, data systems, collaboration technologies, and initiatives.
Resumes should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line "CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER"
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE